[Ti] [OT] Windoze networking and Invisible files

Bill Reburn billreburn at shaw.ca
Wed Jul 9 06:38:17 PDT 2003

On 7/8/03 6:39 PM, "Benn" <joverkamp at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 03:08  PM, Bill Reburn wrote: I know this is
> somewhat Ti/PowerBook related cause I bet more laptops  are accessing these
> Windows networks than other models of Macs..
>
>> Anywho - whats with the invisible files popping up everywhere? I have  to
>> explain some OSX stuff to the NT admin here - does anyone have any  resources
>> I could draw from to help with this? Or to help explain whats going on?
>>

> I'd guess you're talking about ._<name of file> that shows up when you
> transfer files to a Windows machine, but you never see on the mac.   They are
> resource files that the mac uses but windows machines do not.   I posted a
> link on MacOSXhints about this topic and the comments go a  little further:
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020217094739452 My solution was
> simply to use the UNIX cp command to copy the files, as  it does not copy the
> resources.  This can be done from the terminal or  through a GUI front end to
> the command. There is also another hint with comments that might be helpful
> here: http://www.macosxhints.com/
> article.php?story=20021118060850652&query=%5C%22._%5C%22
>
> If this wasn't what you're talking about I'm sorry. Benn

That's exactly what I am talking about.. I have other Win2k users on the
network that are freaking out about them.. They think they're going to over
run our server (which they aren't, sheesh).

So, I can use whatever method to remove them but what about the mention of
moving those files back to my OSX Ti? Do those ._whatever files need to
remain for me to have that functionality? I am moving graphics files back
and forth all day, will these files still be useable on my OSX Ti after
deleting the ._whatever files?

I have a PC at my disposal, maybe I will simply set myself up with a
folder/directory on the Win2k server to move all my 'from OSX' files into
then move them to appropriate locations with the Win2k box, would that work?

Bill Reburn Associate Member of the Society of Graphic Designers of Canada :
MB Chapter