[OT] Converting HDD into NAS device?

Pedro Vera pedro at veraperez.com
Wed Jul 9 12:09:09 PDT 2003

As I was getting ready to order a kit to convert the HDD from my fried iBook into an external
firewire drive, I noticed I have a couple 30GB IBM Deskstar drives sitting in a corner at the office,
doing absolutely nothing. My first reaction was of course to convert them to firewire too, but
then I thought these are too heavy to lug around. But as part of a Network Attached Storage
System either of these drives would just rock.

Has anyone seen a kit that you plug a drive into it and turns it into a NAS device like the
Quantum Snap or the Linksys network file server? It has to cost less than a barebones PC or it
won't make sense since I can take that PC, install freeBSD in it and turn it into a file server with
NFS and webDAV.

Thanks,

Pedro Vera
http://pedrovera.com