[Ti] Titanium G4 Pros and cons (experiences with G4 TiPB 667 Rev 2 and 12 12 inches TiPB Aluminium - rugged they AINT!)

warwick teale warwick_teale at mac.com
Fri Jul 11 01:49:56 PDT 2003

Yes I am surprised you could call l the TiPB series rugged. in fact
they are fragile , especially  when you travel through those  post
"september 11 2001"  airports.

We have  3 x G4 macs two of which are Ti's.

Here's my response to "rugged" - pleaseeee! I don't agree .. and here's
my experiences so far for the punter who wants to buy one.. DO it (but
a TI ASAP) but take care of it.

(1) my Ti667PB rev 2...
- paint comes off the Ti667 around the keyboard area. (BTW so did the
paint on 3 IBM 600 TP's I had)
- I have had 2 replacements since the original at the end of 2001
(dec). THe large plastic piece light grey assembly under that hold the
thing together  crack easily.. the hinges took a beating when I dropped
the TiPB in a padded LAPTOP case.. funny eh? It cost be $HK2200 to get
that fixed each time.
- the Lid (screen) has a ding in it from some idiot at a us airport
that banged it around an xray machine - yep I have specially made
double  lined VELVET sleaves to protect the TI667 and a PELICAN
waterproof- heavily sponged laptop case.. yes I am paranoid it will
break when I need it on a business trip.
- other scratches on this one i'm using right now - airline seats that
suddenly are rolled back on you i ECONOMY class (no one travels bus
class these days hey!)
- the battery fells out a few times and cracked.
- heavily scuffed areas for the DVD and PCMIA slot... yes there more....
- the faulty track pad - two replacement (as above for his baby).
- the base does not fit together properly - beats me why..
- oh and the power supply (the white fella) has the TiPB end falls
apart.. - dammed hopeless)
- oh year and the 3-4 keyboard 'condoms" I have used to protect the
screen fro the keyboard.. now I use a piece of A4 paper.. does the job
ok.
- and there more.....
  Rugged???? .. not so far.

(2) and then there the BRAND NEW TiPB 300mm (12inches) aluminium PB
sitting right next to me (this Ti667) .. well lets see how rugged that
is.
- 3 weeks old and hardly taken any where, it has scuff marks and
scratches on it.
- it is my girlrfiend's and she has it in a heavily padded soft bag we
bought from the apple shop - just for this job
- the lid is starting to feel like it's gonna flop off - yep we'll take
it back.
- oh yeah and it get so dammed hot when VPC or LIGHTWAVE gets a hold of
the CPU that it is too hot to use as a LAPTOP because it may cause heat
burns or irritation on your upper legs..the TIPB 12inches aluminium PB
gets very very hot.. (yes I think I will deploy all that old asbestos
and make a mat for this new baby for our legs).

-sarcasm aside....

Rugged??? not at all.

I love these TI's!!!

..... and will do what it takes NEVER to go back to the dammed pc
laptops.. However I can say that my pre -TiPB days I had 3 x IBM 600
laptops. One fell 4m from a floor , was cracked on the screen but still
works today (with the bend keyboard). Another still worked after I
threw it against a wall in the office in a deep rage after windows 2000
failed to save 1 days worth of work and as you all know 'removed the
file" the microsoft app i used  took a programme =-check!.. Yes that so
called "piece-of-excreta" still works as well! - YES those IBM laptop
machines were robust and rugged and handle airports and frustrated
users of windows2000 very well.. perhaps that's why they are well build
I s'pose.

I am looking forward to replacing this TiPB wit the rumoured G5 later
in 2004.

I appreciate the ellegance and head turning affect a TIPB has on those
poor windows sods.. and YES I will take very good care of it as I have
done with this TiPB667.

TIPB's are wonderful - I love 'em to death BUT.. they are not rugged.