[Ti] Reasons to NOT buy 15" 867 MHz or 1Ghz Titanium?

Rod Duncan roduncan at telus.net
Fri Jul 11 14:54:10 PDT 2003

Chris,

Since you asked.

Warning:  <RANT> My original foray into buying an external DVD burner
was a bad experience with Formac and their Devideon product.
Sub-standard customer service, poor tech support and crummy business
practises coupled with a less-than-ideal case design and poor
Devideon software (version 2) had me return and get stung with a
surprise 20% restocking fee. I dealt with them directly on purchase
and had NOT been informed of their 20% restocking fee at time of
order. Obviously, I don't believe anyone should use this company or
their products! <RANT OFF>

On to happier purchases and personal suggestions.

There is good news and even better prices since I purchased my
external DVD setup only 6 months ago.

I ended up buying a bare Pioneer DVD-105 drive from ESBuy
http://www.esbuy.com/piondv4xdvdr.html  (looks like they are
currently $157 with free shipping. Way less than I paid just a couple
of months ago. Assorted curses.) And an excellent external case from
FW Depot.
http://fwdepot.com/thestore/product_info.php?products_id=307 They
currently have them on special for $104.95 + shipping.

Whereas Formac is still charging $399 for their poorly designed
External Pioneer drive and wannabe Devideon software.
http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_drives_devideon

Hmmm... Let's do the math. $137.05 in your hip.

Heck, if you want a package deal with software LaCie's external drive
comes with their CaptyDVD software and Toast Lite for $295.
http://www.smalldog.com/product/44492/atdealsearch/ I haven't used
this software or drive so can't recommend. I have had good success
with LaCie over the years.

I have no affiliation with any software/hardware company.

Obviously... my opinions are entirely my own.

Trust this helps.

Rod