[Ti] Speed up

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Fri Jul 18 02:03:56 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 17, 2003, at 10:11  pm, Robert J. Fisher wrote:

> I don't know WHAT the heck I am doing here.... I DID use the leading
> slash... And it eliminated it.,.,,,,I was assuming this was all
> supposed to
> be in TERMINAL....NOw I'm so confused I don't know what to do next...
> I can't find this so called etc directory.....I don't know what she
> means by
> open it in my favorite editor....I don't have a Favorite editor!!!

It may be worth talking a step back and noting that typing stuff into
unix shells without understanding exactly what the command can do can
be dangerous...

in a unix filesystem, the root directory is known as "/".

so /etc a directory under this.

/etc/rc.common is a file called rc.common in /etc

I recommend "Unix in a Nutshell" and "Unix system administration"
(O'Reilly) as good starting points

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue