[Ti] Big Al 17" keyboard + Num Lock

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Mon Jul 21 05:35:49 PDT 2003

> I just asked her why she does it and she says at work on the PC's, the
> number pad on the end of an extended keyboard usually doesn't work
> unless
> Num Lock is on (I think she works in XP). Does it matter on the Mac? I
> don't

I am pretty sure the Num lock key isn't that kind of an issue on the
mac. If you look at a PC keyboard, there are directional arrows on the
extra keypad. Up, Down, Left, Right, and Up-Left, etc... A total of 8
directions. When Num Lock is on, the numbers can be selected.

I will assume (as I don't know the history) this was due to the lack of
a mouse. I could check this out on Google, but it isn't that important.

On the Powerbook, it does the "same" thing, only with the numbers being
under text, instead of directional arrows.

Now, on the USB mac keyboards, there are no directional arrows, so
there should be no need to hit Num Lock.