[Ti] Speed up

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Tue Jul 22 12:30:51 PDT 2003

On 7/20/03 8:33, "Lisbeth Zachs" <zachs at swedenmail.com> wrote:

> fredagen den 18 juli 2003 kl 20.27 skrev Jesse Brown:
>
>> <http://www.enigmarelle.com/sw/BroadbandOptimizer> works and you'll
>> notice improvements right away. Also to help speed
>> downloads on broadband connections look at yazsoft's Speed Download.
>> That
>> works also and SIGNIFICANTLY improves download speeds from ftp.
> ---------
> Just want to confirm;  both can be used at the same time or is there a
> possible conflict between them? I have understood they have a slightly
> different agenda, but am wary of mixing help programs that may interfer
> with each other.
>
> Lisbeth in Gothenburg

Lisbeth,

Sorry I have been away for a few days and did not see your follow on post.
The answer to your question is yes. You can use both at the same time.

Broadband Optimizer changes the default packet size to 64K bytes from some
lower number usually 32K Bytes. This affects every packet received.

Speed Download uses a completely different approach to speeding up file
transfers by opening up to 6 ftp sessions at once and downloading 6
fragments of the file in each stream and then reassembling after download.
The speed comes from downloading 6 parts of the file in parallel rather in
serial fashion. Of course the Broadband optimizer will optimize each stream
packet size as well.

Hope this helps.

--
Jesse

"A popular government without popular information, or the means of acquiring
it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy, or perhaps both. Knowledge
will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own
governors must arm themselves with the power which knowledge gives." - James
Madison, from a letter to W.T. Barry, August 4, 1822