[Ti] Speed up

Jesse Brown jesse.brown at mac.com
Wed Jul 23 03:28:20 PDT 2003

On 7/22/03 15:30, "Jesse Brown" <jesse.brown at mac.com> wrote:

> Broadband Optimizer changes the default packet size to 64K bytes from some
> lower number usually 32K Bytes. This affects every packet received.

Correction:

As Bill Palmer points out in an off list post, the TCP packet size is not
changed as I inferred but rather the Network Memory Buffer size is doubled.

>From the ReadMe:

"Broadband Optimizer works by increasing the memory buffers used for TCP
transfers, so that data comes in bigger chunks at at time - Man-sized
broadband chunks, not modem-sized kiddie chunks."

The end result is faster data transfers since most default buffer sizes are
optimized for modem transfers and not broadband. Some people have reported
downloading stalls using this little hack that went away when they reverted.
I didn't see anything reported after April 03.

I stand corrected. Thanks Bill.

:-)

--
Jesse

"I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past."
Thomas Jefferson - From a Letter to John Adams, 1 Aug 1816