[Ti] Operating without a keyboard or monitor

Lee Wilmeth lw at wilmeth.net
Thu Jul 24 12:27:30 PDT 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 12:21 PM, David DelMonte wrote:

> I want to have a little server - maybe an old cube - that can handle
> my internet connection and let me be mobile with my PBs.
>
> However, I dont really want another keyboard and monitor.
>
> Is there any way to operate my cube server without these? How about
> Apple's Remote Desktop?
>
> Thanks
>
> David

David,

I've been using something for the last few months, that isn't a mac,
but is very useful with a mac. If you don't mind a little bit of work,
I have an interesting option for you. A Toshiba Magnia SG-20. Available
on Ebay for around $240 it includes the following:

7 port 10/100 switch
integrated WAN port
Integrated Modem
Printer port
PCMCIA slot
1 or 2 20GB laptop hard drives
LCD panel on the front with status text

The entire unit is only 3 times as thick as my 17 inch Powerbook, and
takes up the same amount of desk space. The best part, totally
configurable via a web browser. Software includes, firewall, file
server, router, dial up server, print server, VPN, web server(intra and
internet), content filtering, and caching of web pages. If you install
an Orinoco Silver or Gold PCMCIA wireless card, you get 128 bit
encryption, plus a wireless access point. Accessible via Appletalk, SMB
(windows file share), or netware. The modem can be used to dial out to
an ISP, or used to dial into your network. The underpinning is a Red
Hat linux box with some of the best end user hardware management
software I have ever experienced outside of Apple. If you feel a little
adventurous, you can even use ssh to telnet into the unit and work at
the command line. You can turn on HTTPS to access the control pages for
even more control. The unit is a steal at $240, because Toshiba is
still selling them for $1800 and up. The one I purchased, was brand new
in the box, and I was even able to register it for the 1 year warranty.
I guess you could say the only downside is the fact that it uses linux,
and laptop hard drives. But, considering that the Cube is still selling
used for as much as $800 stripped, it's a nice alternative. And, the
PDF manual is actually extremely useful, accurate, and well written.
There is a good user group on yahoo groups for support too.

Lee

Lee Wilmeth, Computer Consultant
1104 Cypress CT
Mansfield, TX 76063-2608