[Ti] TiBook/400 Battery Burned Out :(

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Mon Jul 28 09:56:23 PDT 2003

I saw this once at the AASP I work for, also on a PBG4.  From what I
could tell, a large crumb of something had made its way into the
battery bay, and then shorted out the contacts.  I'm reasonably sure
there's a fuse in the battery to keep from starting a fire, so
afterwards the battery was no longer recognized.  Replacing the battery
fixed it.

The extra heat you noticed is probably just normal, though I'd say it's
more likely caused by something besides the missing battery.  Also,
there is a rechargeable internal battery that stores the date and time,
though if your computer is unplugged a lot with no main battery, it
might not have had a chance to recharge for a while.  To recharge it,
leave the computer plugged in (in use or not) for 48 hours.  The
official test to see if it's working or not is to then power off the
computer, unplug it, and remove the battery for 10 minutes.  If the
date has not reset after 10 minutes, the battery is judged to be OK.

Before you put in your other battery, check the contacts on the
computer, and make sure they're clean.  Remove any debris from the
battery bay.  You might also remove the keyboard and check the battery
connector on the logic board and make sure that there's nothing
abnormal there, such as burn marks.  If the burned part was just at the
battery connector end, it was probably a piece of debris that got in
there, and the battery is the only damaged part

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html.