iCHATAV from Hong Kong to america works great ... Re: [Ti] Videoconferencing, anyone?

warwick teale warwick_teale at mac.com
Tue Jul 29 23:33:58 PDT 2003

All, I use iCHATAV regularly to friends in London, Shanghai, Denver,
Boulder, Montreal, Beijing, Munich, Wagga Wagga, Sydney and Dubai from
here in HONG KONG.

My link is 802.11b (snowy airport to my ISP).

Naturally the service varies depending on the network load usually at
my friends sites in their countries. If you use an "el cheapo" ISP then
you wont get the full bandwidth for the VIDEO portion.

I have "8Mb" to the floor here in Hong Kong with the Hong Kong ISP
called "iCABLE".. works great... maybe 4Mb/sec at best .. like now in
the middle of the day.

We have all found that iCHATAV (the beta version) seems to drop
away/degrade dramatically after say 5 minutes. Is this a "limit" added
to the software? (just wondering).

LAst week from Dubai to HK, we could only get AUDIO because the uplink
from DUbai was so slow.... but it works great and save lots of money on
phone calls.

I am using it for business as well and personal..

I can also tell you that iCHATAV works great from the Cathay Pacific
lounge over their 802.11b. I had many curious people looking at my Ti
whilst I was having a video chat with my friend in Sydney I had an
earphones from my Ti... the bandwidth reported by the "CONNECTION
DOCTOR" was in excess of 180Kb/sec...

I was using my iSIGHT camera and my colleague has a SONY TRV950 n his
mac....

SO.. it works great here in HONG KONG.