[Ti] Votes for a G5 PowerBook shipping date

Lorin Rivers lrivers at mac.com
Wed Jul 30 17:30:18 PDT 2003

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 11:53 AM, Shawn King wrote:

> On 7/24/03 1:52 PM, "Tarik Bilgin" <tarik at opalblue.com> wrote:
>
>> anyway I started thinking about the
>> prospect of a 15 inch G5 on my desk..... ;)
>>
>> Do any of you have a feeling for when we will see these on the market?
>
> Yup. Never.
>
> At least, not for a *very* long time (12 months) and not in it's
> current
> configuration.
>
> Apple has specifically said that you won't see the present G5 chip in
> Powerbooks.

Apple's made a big point of confirming their commitment to Motorola,
who will likely continue to provide G4s for some time to come. The next
PowerBook update will (hopefully) be a 15" Aluminum (Middie Me?), and
speed bumps for the other 2.

The 9 fans another poster mentioned are not so much for cooling the G5s
but for cooling the whole system more quietly. That said, each G5
processor block (heat sink, fan, etc.) is almost as wide/tall as the G5
case is wide (as seen from the front). I doubt they build them this way
for fun...

The G5 is rated at 47W, while the G4 is rated at around 13W...

I'll be happy with a 1.something gHz 15" PowerBook. Hopefully at Paris?

--
Lorin Rivers
Marketing Professional