OT: politics and Wi-Fi Help needed, please

F. Mortes fmortes at saltidiomes.com
Thu Jul 31 01:00:23 PDT 2003

Hi, everyone!

I need some help from the list and please forgive this off-topic
posting.

I live in a small village next to a National Park, here in Catalonia.
Because of the nature of our location, zoning and planning schemes
forbid any kind of industrial activity. Over the last 20 years, more
and more families have moved into our village, attracted by the peace
and quiet and the beauty of the area.

Problem: because there are few businesses in the area, our Council does
not raise much money from taxation. If we do not attract more 'clean'
professional-types who move or set up their offices in the village
(surgeries, legal firms, architects, catering compannies, etc), in the
future we will not be able to provide reasonably good public services
for everyone.

Broad band access to the internet would very much be an incentive for
such businesses to move to our village. Currently, DSL providers offer
very poor services in our area because we are too far from the nearest
'node' (or whatever the term is). Wi-Fi looks like an option. The
trouble is that this is still in its infancy here and nobody seems to
know very much about it. I've been asked to attend a meeting tonight
between our mayor and a young, local start-up Wi-Fi provider, simply
because I've heard the word "Wi-Fi" mentioned before, not because I
know much about it!

Question:

What sort of questions should we ask them? For example, I seem to have
heard that different standards (identified by a string of numbers and
letters) exist. Should we be concerned about this? We are worried that
we might make a mistake we would regret.
Could anyone point me to a web page, like, "Wi-Fi for dummies"?

Thank you very much!

Francesc