[Ti] Videoconferencing, anyone?

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Thu Jul 31 06:47:22 PDT 2003

Well,
I visited the local Apple centre in Leeds this morning, and we did a
video chat using an iSight connected to an iMac G4 800 connecting to
identical kit in their Nottingham store.

The iSight is very nice. The auto focus works well, the CCD resolution
is not professional quality, but seems good enough for most 1 to 1
situations.

The way iChat AV adjusts its settings automatically based on bandwidth
is very nice, and the connections seem very stable.

We had 20 fps on standard 512/256 kB ADSL connections, and we had a
bitrate of 138bps.

My conclusion:

For the price this is great, and the set up is a no brainer. (If you
have a firewall you will need to open some custom UDP ports though)

Have a good one Ti-listers,

--
Tarik Bilgin
Opalblue