[Ti] Dead Ethernet

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Mon Jun 2 22:16:31 PDT 2003

>I woke the other morning to find my DSL modem dead to the world.  I
>bought a new modem (2wire) but could not get it to connect with my
>TI book (g4 550).  I brought the TI book  to work and tried to
>connect over the T3 line there (something I do on a daily
>basis)--still no connection.

Have you tried different ethernet cables?
Have you made sure your network settings aren't hosed?
What OS? If OSX are you using the "Automatic"? This is not always reliable.
Can you plug the ethernet directly to another computer with
Appleshare turned on (Filesharing in OS9) on both boxen and see if
the computers are visible in Apple share?

I have also noticed that on my Ti500 that sometimes the cable feels
like it is completely in, but is not seated properly.

>Since my warranty is out,  repairing the ethernet looks like it's
>going to be pretty expensive.  What are my best options for
>connecting to my DSL service without using ethernet?  Pc cards?
>Wireless, etc.???

There are PC ethernet cards; Wireless would require an airport card
(about $75 now) in your computer and a wireless router ($70 and up).
You either have to lug the wireless router to work or buy a second
wireless router (which may both be a security issue with your sys
admin)
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com