[Ti] Slightly OT - Recommendation for a PC(!) notebook?

Jennifer Landefeld jennsbl at mac.com
Tue Jun 3 11:04:42 PDT 2003

Hi Khyber,

Okay, so to answer your original question (not discuss Quickbooks
pros/cons and platform issues).

While I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Mac addict (see footer below -- I have a
TiBook 550 to keep this marginally on topic ;-) my husband,
unfortunately, must live on the dark side for his job.

We just got him an HP Pavillion ze4325 (open box at BestBuy so it was
better than current prices ~$800). It seems reasonably sturdy and fair
config. with, Athlon 2000+ processor, 40 gig drive, 256MB base memory,
DVD/CD-RW drive, USB, PCMCIA slots, etc. We're going to at least double
the memory shortly.

At least one ze4300 series has mini firewire and an included adapter to
make use of firewire peripherals such as drives, cameras, etc. My
husband opted for the cheaper solution (open box) and we got a $50
firewire PCMCIA card (non-bus powered drives will work on it) for him
to use my DV camera. I think I just saw an ad (maybe BestBuy?) for the
ze4315, one model down from ours, for $789 after rebates ($200 from
BestBuy/HP?). On HP's web the ze 4000 series starts at $699 and you can
order ready-to-ship or customize one (if you customize they currently
have a free shipping offer).

It is heavy and the design is ghastly compared to my TiBook 550. But,
price was right and it serves its purpose for him. He isn't a road
warrior, though this will go from home to office with him almost daily.
I wouldn't recommend this big/heavy a notebook for anyone traveling a
lot.

I have acquaintances who swear by their Sony Vaio notebooks. For a Win
notebook they are slightly better design than most others and there are
some lighter models. Price isn't cheap on most of these models though.
But with the Sony you *can* get a lighter book depending upon what
components you find useful/necessary. Many who WISH they could have
Mac's but are required by their work to use Win often opt for a Sony
due to slightly better hardware styling.

Their are a variety of deals out there on HP's, Compaq's and Sony's
lately.

I've had bad experiences with Toshiba's. Don't know if that was just
our bad luck or if they are the bottom rung of Win notebooks.

Good luck. (-:

Cheers,
Jenn

(Macs: 128, 512Ke, Classic, SE30(2), Duo2300, Bondi iMac, Cube,
PowerMac G4 350, PowerMac G4 Dual 1.2, TiBook 550 -- had to replace a
Lombard that drank a glass of grapefruit juice courtesy grandma and my
then 3 month old son -- miss the Lombard though I love the TiBook!
...and oh, dare I admit it... 2 Performa's -- yep I stuck with Apple
through Amelio. Hmmm, a NeXT cube and pizza box and a NeXT laser too --
always addicted to Jobs <sigh>. :-)

On Tuesday, June 3, 2003, at 08:51  AM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List
wrote:

> Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:12:58 -0400
> Subject: Re: [Ti] Slightly OT - Recommendation  for a PC(!) notebook?
> From: rich graham <rich at biggerfish.com>
>
> Before plunking down $$$, read some reviews of QuickBooks for X - it's
> really a step BACKWARD from the Windows version.

<SNIP>