That'll leave a mark-

John B. Crane jbcrane at cranedigital.com
Fri Jun 6 11:32:22 PDT 2003

On Friday, June 6, 2003, at 12:00 PM, PowerBook G4 Titanium List wrote:
> I find that it is actually easier to achieve a high uptime on a laptop,
> since it is possible to put it to sleep and it has automatic protection
> against power failure ;-).

How is this possible? Oh, you mean the _battery_ there to "UPS" it... I
get it.
At first I wondered if there were some sort of inherent surge
protection while in sleep mode...
So... is there? I saw a DELL commercial recently where they talked
about shock-testing their machines, dropping them a few feet down for
impact testing, etc. (ouch... that'll leave a mark...)

I'm wondering what Apple does, if anything, along these lines. I can
remember being at Mac World years ago and they had released a little
kids computer, possibly a pre-cursor to the first gen i-books (plastic,
clamshell style). I was standing there talking to the young lady and
asked how well the computers would hold up to their target market -
kids. She took one off the podium, turned and dropped it from
chest-height onto the hard, (Moscone Convention Center carpeted) floor.
I was stunned.
Not a mark on it.
I wonder what BigAl would do if I did that to him?

Now back to our regularly scheduled program...

John B. Crane
Principal
CraneDigital, LLC
Visual Communications for All Media
jbcrane at cranedigital.com
+1 (970) 229-1462
www.cranedigital.com

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
are addressed. If you are NOT the intended recipient or the person
responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be
advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited.