[Ti] Formac digital TV recorder?

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Fri Jun 6 13:29:56 PDT 2003

On fredag, jun 6, 2003, at 16:54 Europe/Stockholm, Sam Hotchkiss wrote:

> On 6/6/03 5:16 AM, "David Remahl" <david at ittpoi.com> wrote:
>
>> I think you should estimate 3-6 GB / hour of recording (someone more
>> into digital video will probably correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Probably closer to 10 or 15gb an hour, from my experience

You are right, I looked it up, and it seems that the stream will take
approximately 12.5 GB / hour of recorded stream. Compared to EyeTV,
which will store almost 20 hours using the same disk space. The quality
difference is huge, and the Formac is very useful for converting analog
video tapes to digital video, and has many other uses. You should
decide wether you need a video converter with a tv tuner, or a TiVo
like PVR. If you just want to watch TV programs live, then you will
probably appreciate the superior quality of the Formac box.

If you decide to go with Formac, then you should be aware of this
alternative software:

http://mitzpettel.com/software/vidi.html

It is amazing compared to the program that ships with the product. And
free!

/ Regards, David