[Ti] sleep mode - Battery life

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Fri Jun 6 14:34:44 PDT 2003

>http://www.macdailynews.com/opinion_comments.php?id=P1191_0_2_0
>  I (and above-linked writer) concur about never shutting down. This article
>recommends leaving all apps open as well - cuz of how OS X handles memory
>that is possibly fine? Would be interested in others' views.

Without reading the article, I can say from my experience that
leaving apps open, while true in theory, is not always true in
practice. My guess is that some carbonized apps don't use memory
properly. The most obvious, again in my experience, are Adobe apps,
specifically Photoshop and worse, Illustrator. Illustrator will often
crash when either bringing it from background or sending it to
background (although I have found that if I just click the icon in
the dock and let the spinning rainbow do its thing for half-a-minute
or so it may revive itself); it will crash 99% of the time when
waking from sleep.

Photoshop crashes about 30% of the time when waking from sleep, but
that number goes up if Illustrator is open too.  I hope that Adobe is
working on Cocoa versions of Illustrator and Photoshop, because
memory management should be much better. Photoshop also doesn't give
back memory as it should, so leaving it open for a long time tends to
increase pageouts to virtual memory for other things.

The nice thing about OSX, however, is that quitting Photoshop will
cause the OS to "heal" it's memory situation rather quickly.

OTOH, apps like Eudora, Watson, Camino, iCal, TextEdit, BBedit,
Entourage, do stay up on my Ti almost non-stop.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com