[Ti] freeze and then three beeps

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Thu Jun 12 07:11:08 PDT 2003

Eric typed this message on 6/11/03 6:14 PM:

> hi: this morning my powerbook froze up.  i shut it down by holding down
> the power button.   when i restarted, i heard it start up but then i
> heard three beeps (or tones) and the  light that pulses when asleep was
> blinking.  the screen did not light up.
>
> i shut it down again and zapped the pram which seemed to do the trick
> the second time (after taking out the battery and unplugging).   i ran
> fsck and it fixed a lot of stuff.
>
> my question is what do the three tones (not sure how else to describe
> the sound) mean.  i've never heard that before.
>
> this is a 667 dvi.   thanks.   eric

I am guessing here, but it could be a problem with your RAM. I had this kind
of behaviour with my old 667 DVI. I just had recently had the RAM upgraded
and I found that one of the sticks had developed an intermittent problem.

Good luck - and I am hoping you have RAM that has a lifetime warranty.

jg