[Ti] OS 9

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 12 08:42:38 PDT 2003

on 03/06/12 06:23, Randy Reames at randy at reames.org wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 11:29 PM, Jerry Krinock wrote:
>
>> I believe it is easy to remove the OS9 System Folder, and I thought of
>> doing
>> this myself a few months ago, but I recommend that you do not.
>>
>> You may need to run a Classic application someday - I know that you
>> have not
>> for the last year, but Murphy's Law says you will need to, the day
>> after you
>> remove it.
>>

> About 9 - 10 months ago I redid my TiBook to dual boot between Debian
> and OS X. I never reinstalled OS9. I think the only time It has tried
> to even use Classic is with some game or something unimportant to me.
>
> But some people do have a need or want for OS 9. Nothing wrong with
> that.
>
> Isn't there some key mapping utility for OS X that would solve your fn
> key need?

I wish there was, but we've discussed this before.  The idea is to reverse
the action of the "fn" key so that they will function like "regular"
function keys when the "fn" key is _not_ pressed, and do the rarely-needed
powerbook hardware stuff (volume, brightness, etc.) when the fn key _is_
pressed.  There is only one way to do it (thanks to Joao Carlos de Pinho):

Boot into OS9
Control Panels
Keyboard
Function Keys
Check: "Enable Hot Function Keys"
Uncheck: "Use F1 thru F12 for Hot Function Keys"

I submitted this to submitted to http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/, and
I hope they fix it someday.  Otherwise I'll never be able to buy one of the
new powerbooks that won't boot into OS 9.

Jerry