[Ti] [OT] Microsoft to quit web browsers for Mac

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Sat Jun 14 19:56:36 PDT 2003

>SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp. said Friday it will no longer develop versions of
>its popular Web-browsing software for Apple Computer's Macintosh (news - web
>sites) system, saying Apple's own browsing software [OS X-only Safari] is a
>logical choice for Mac users.

IE was first out of the gate to support OSX (and of course Omniweb),
but Camino and now Safari  have completely outpaced IE development.
This is not a loss for Apple; keeping their mac browser current was
part of the lawsuit settlement. Once that time limit was up it made
little sense for M$ to keep engineering a free product.

I believe Apple started Safari development at a time when a truly
high-performance browser was definitely needed. Camino/Chimera was a
pleasant surprise for such an early rev. So now we get two great
browsers! Which is one more than M$ users have! And the recent
release of OmniWeb shows promise that we will actually have 3 GREAT
browsers to choose from.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com