[Ti] [OT] Microsoft to quit web browsers for Mac

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Sun Jun 15 04:12:27 PDT 2003

> On Sunday, June 15, 2003, at 12:50 AM, S. Moussly wrote:
>
>> Safari has matured pretty fast. And frankly for a beta, its pretty
>> damn
>> good :)
>
> yes, but there are TOO many things that Safari does NOT do...

Like what? Spinning beach ball of death is one of the tricks IE does
better...

Apart from that, all I can think of is that Internet Explorer is
_still_ more forgiving towards incorrect HTML (for example, tags not
matching up, incorrect tables).

Besides....You are still free to continue to use Internet Explorer.
Since it has barely been updated since Mac OS X 10.0 - and basically is
the same browser that shipped with Public Beta - there has been no
actual change. The browser won't disappear from your harddrive, and you
will be able to copy it with you when you install Panther.

Microsoft's excuse for discontinuing development was pathetic too. They
clamed that "customers request a browser that is better integrated into
the OS - something only Apple can provide." Safari doesn't do anything
that isn't available to any developer on the planet. There is no magic
in Safari, since it is just an application like any other. Microsoft's
excuse was just an attempt to make their decision to drop stand alone
installers for IE for Windows and increase the "integration" between
the OS and the browser further (creating an unfair environment for
other browsers such as Firebird and Netscape.). M$ thinks they're out
of the woods now that they settled the lawsuit with AOL. Now they can
do whatever they want...

/ Regards, David