[Ti] [OT] Microsoft to quit web browsers for Mac

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Sun Jun 15 08:11:29 PDT 2003

On söndag, jun 15, 2003, at 17:04 Europe/Stockholm, Henry Kalir wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, cbirds wrote:
>
>> Henry Kalir tapped out this message on 6/15/2003 10:43 AM
>>
>>> Shame? Why? Isn't it logical to direct your efforts towards 90% of
>>> the
>>> market, rather than 5% or less of it?
>>
>> Well it's  a shame for US......
>
> Apple should be ashamed! For their greed which cost them their
> marketshare, and for resting on their laurels while the competition was
> getting better and better!
>
> Best,
> Henry

Please...

Competition between browsers is better than it ever was.

Internet Explorer
Camino
FireBird
Netscape
Mozilla App Suite
Safari
Opera

All but the first subscribe to the same ideology that the web should be
based on standards. They adhere to the W3C recommendations as good as
they can, and compete by offering different user experiences instead of
competing by creating new and fancy in-house "standards".

Besides, Apple isn't developing Safari out of greed. It is very
possible that they either were told by M$ to expect IE to go away, or
saw it coming as it hasn't been updated in 3.5 years. Leaving the
platform without a browser wasn't something Apple felt like doing
(Netscape could go away any day now, when AOL comitted to IE, and
Mozilla funding could decrease dramatically).

I don't think Apple has been resting. They have focused their efforts
on developing one of the best operating systems on earth, together with
a nice setup of consumer oriented applications. Now the turn has come
to create a web browser that puts others to shame.

/ Rgds, David