[Ti] [OT] Microsoft to quit web browsers for Mac

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Sun Jun 15 10:11:34 PDT 2003

>On a side I hope that Apple is developing products to beat/match
>Word and Excel.
>
>After using word for 10 years, it's still the awful application that
>can't produce a decently formatted document without hours of
>wrestling with its "Styles" system. This one should be easy.
>
>Excel is the one MS product that I am fearful will leave the Mac
>"out in the cold".

A) there is Open Office for OSX, which is not ready for prime time,
but is being developed

B) the Mac Business Unit for M$ is a profitable unit, and since
Office is THE primary revenue generator for the MBU, I do not see M$
abandoning development.  M$ is still treading on thin anti-trust ice,
and even though they bought their way out of the US suit, they are
still facing a tough battle in Europe.  Apple is a nice "anti-trust
buffer" and M$ would have to provide definitive proof that they could
not "afford" to produce Office for X.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com