[Ti] [OT] Microsoft to quit web browsers for Mac

Michael Bigley wakinyan at fuse.net
Sun Jun 15 10:21:08 PDT 2003

>Microsoft's excuse for discontinuing development was pathetic too.
>They clamed that "customers request a browser that is better
>integrated into the OS - something only Apple can provide."

Also, before we start a "gloom and doom for Apple" thread, in the
same announcement m$ said that the current version of IE for Windows
is the last stand-alone version they will develop... from now on ALL
IE development will be for the version integrated into Windows. I
guess that means that people the use Virtual PC and XP will always be
able to access the most current IE ;-)

In addition, I still expect Apple and M$ to announce a collaborative
deal with VPC.  It is a win-win really. As I said in an earlier post,
the M$ MBU is already profitable and they have some top developers
(the OSX version of Office was rated better than Office for XP by
several independent reviewers).  A well integrated VPC on OSX means,
for Apple, that switchers can still use the XP apps.  For M$, that
would mean that they would literally get $$$ for every Mac sold as
well as their existing Windows computers.
--
       http://www.norbertrunning.com