[Ti] Privacy

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Sun Jun 15 13:19:16 PDT 2003

On söndag, jun 15, 2003, at 22:04 Europe/Stockholm, Tom R. no spam
wrote:

> I've done packet sniffing when not behind a firewall, using
> a fixed IP address which is very seldom used, and found my
> unit hit with a port scan from outside in less than a minute.
> If you're running an application which leaves a port open,
> that can be found and exploited.

...can be found and _potentially_ exploited...

There are, as far as I know, no general vulnerabilities associated with
simply having a port open. Furthermore, Apple has been quite good at
updating the built in services (that are disabled by default) as
vulnerabilities in the applications appear.

I would say that 90% of warnings raised by firewalls are false alarms,
resulting from normal use of the network. Of the remaining 10%, I think
9.9% would not have any idea what to do when they find a Mac on the
other side. They may try to run a few common Windows exploits, try to
log in over ssh with no password. The remaining 0.1% is the dangerous
one. To avoid being attacked by that knowledgable tenth of a percent,
make sure you keep up on the security updates (Software Update) and
that you don't leave services on unless you really need them. And if
you do need FTP or SSH, that you make sure to choose good (meaning
long, complicated) passwords. If possible, replace FTP by using SFTP
with SSH.

The only port I can think of that is open on a default Mac OS X
install, is 631, for the CUPS print server. As far as I know, there
hasn't ever been an exploit that made use of that, though.

/ Regards, David Remahl