Can't read all files when copy user folder

Lisbeth Zachs zachs at swedenmail.com
Wed Jun 18 03:51:59 PDT 2003

My question is:
When I'm trying to copy my User folder over to an separate HD a warning
message states that the folder "contains files that you can not read.
Do you wish to contiue?" Answering in affirmative the amount copied
seem to be just about everything, but how can I see the files, which
weren't copied? Or to be precise – can I somehow search for "not
readable files"? Preferably without using Terminal, even if I can
handle that with a detailed description. :-)

Can I use Copy Clooner with more success and is that necessary, so that
I'm not missing something vital now that I'm about the reformat the
whole HD and reinstall from the beginning?

Help appreciated. Thank you :-)

The reason for this drastic measure and possibly a clue to what files
are unreadable:

Since the latest Apple Security update (around 13th of June), my Ti 400
with OS 10.2.6 has behaved more and more funny. Not blaming the
security it could be several other reasons, but at one restart I had a
broad blue banner across the screen demanding me some unusual login
identification.

It accepted me after a few atempts with my main passwords. Another test
restart and login, worked normally. Then some day later Adobe
PhotoElements (which always has started with an alert with no text in
it, but working fine) said that I needed to reinstall because some
necessary file in the Adobe folder was missing. Didn't care much until
I had a similar message in PhotoShop 7. When still some other program
indicated that some essential application folder was faulty or missing
I decided that I should try a restart and some Disk Utility and then
Repair Permission.

Now suddenly my login had changed to the name I used with OS 10.1 and a
(to the best of my knowledge) deleted Test user appeared as an
alternativ login. No password alternative was good enough for my name
(though I know I used the correct one) and I also tried my other main
passwords without success. Could however login in as Test user since
that account was set for automatic log in and the OS is shown as 10.2.6
as it should be. Can restart in 9.2.2 without any problem and when
logged in as Test user, OS10.2.6 will allow and identity my admin name
and password when needed.

Decided I may as well do the long overdue reinstall of the whole thing
but will of course prefer that all the files in my User folder will be
intact.

Lisbeth in Gothenburg
<http://homepage.mac.com/holisticum> updat gardens 030418
<http://www.got-a-mac.org> medlemssida för Got-a-Mac (Mug in Gothenburg)