[Ti] Backup suggestions

Jerry Krinock dearjerry at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 20 05:57:30 PDT 2003

on 03/06/19 10:44, Joseph Fisher at kzfisher at earthlink.net wrote:

> My question is; since Software Update automatically updates the Apple
> specific programs (OS X, iTunes, iCal, etc.) from the system pref. program,
> what is the best way to back these up?

If you use you Mac enough that a HD failure would ruin your day, then
besides doing a daily backup of your Home folder, you need to be doing a
weekly Bootable System Backup onto a Firewire disk.  With a  Bootable System
Backup, if there is any failure in your computer, or even if it is lost or
stolen, you just plug your Firewire drive into another Mac of the similar
type, boot on it, and you're back in business.  If it's only the hard drive
that failed, you just boot your Mac off the Firewire drive.

I use Synchronize! Pro X written by Qdea Software to automatically run
weekly Bootable System Backups and daily Home folder backups, one each to a
Firewire drive which I keep in my cubicle at my day-job, and another which I
keep at home.  It works and is automatice as can be.  There are other
packages, and Unix utilities which are of course a lot cheaper if you don't
mind tinkering and scripting a little to make it go automatically.

One of my backup hard drives is a SmartDisk Firelite.  It was expensive but
it's tiny and beautiful, and it takes only one cord since it gets its power
from the Firewire.

Jerry