[Ti] DVD+RW in new Macs?

Murray Kastner murrayka at mac.com
Sat Jun 21 11:26:08 PDT 2003

I have a serious problem recording DVDs in my new 17" Al. Toast 5.2.1
runs fine until the last 15 minutes or so and then reports: 	The drive
reported an error
								Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
								SENSE CODE = 0X02, OXO1

In frustration, after renderng a half dozen blanks useless, I called
Apple Canada. They told me to reinstall and try again. I did. Then the
first-level guy put my onto a senior technician -- David - who must be
working sub rosa for Microsoft.

His arrogance, rudeness and refusal to offer any help at all nearly had
me -- God forbid! -- selling my new PB and buying a Viao. Now, you are
hearing this from someone who has been a MacManiac and evangelist
through thick and thin since 1985.

If anyone auditing this list works for Apple Canada, I seriously
recommend a transfer to the shipping room for this fellow who is
obviously burnt out and simply sluffing off any pleas for help onto
others.

I was somewhat mollified when I read on macintouch that there is a
problem with 17" PB DVD drives. Now why couldn't this David character
simply tell me this? He had to know as he is a senior technician --
ahem!

Anyhoo, I've cooled down enough to forget my first urge to trash the
new PB and I now accept the fact that I have a defective product and
will probably have to buy an external drive if Apple refuse to
recognize what very many users are reporting. Without the SuperDrive,
it is still light years ahead of any Windows box.

But I'll bet that David is turning any marginal owners off Apple and
towards saving the xtra $$$ and perhaps going to Dell, who at least
service what they sell.

Sorry for this rant but I had to get it out.

Murray

PS: This list is one of the factors in deciding to stick with it. Oh,
the drive is a Matshita UJ-815 and I am running 10.2.6 with a Gb of RAM
and loads of available hard disk