[Ti] DVD+RW in new Macs?

Robin Darby robindarby at mac.com
Sat Jun 21 14:41:50 PDT 2003

On Saturday, June 21, 2003, at 11:26  am, Murray Kastner wrote:

> I have a serious problem recording DVDs in my new 17" Al. Toast 5.2.1
> runs fine until the last 15 minutes or so and then reports: 	The drive
> reported an error
> 								Sense Key = HARDWARE ERROR
> 								SENSE CODE = 0X02, OXO1

If you can tail your syslog you'd get a much more precise error message
(one which would actually help you debug the problem).
Open terminal (...come on now, its okay - I'll hold your hand), which
should be on all mac users docks (in my humble^H^H^H^H^H^H arrogant
opinion). type:
tail -f /var/log/system.log

Keep that terminal window open while you attempt to burn another DVD.
Then you can mail us the content (only the relevant parts please), and
we might be-able to sort you out (its what the mac/OS X community is
all ~, that and the sarcastic comments :).

> In frustration, after rendering a half dozen blanks useless, I called
> Apple Canada. They told me to reinstall and try again. I did. Then the
> first-level guy put my onto a senior technician -- David - who must be
> working sub rosa for Microsoft.

Don't even go there - have you heard that joke ~ M$ support - I'll tell
you it when the kids have gone to bed :)

[snip]

> Anyhoo, I've cooled down enough to forget my first urge to trash the
> new PB and I now accept the fact that I have a defective product and
> will probably have to buy an external drive if Apple refuse to
> recognize what very many users are reporting. Without the SuperDrive,
> it is still light years ahead of any Windows box.

Hey, you calling my 17"/12" AlBook defective?? Thats fighting talk
where i come from!!!
I've not got toast, but whenever I've burn CD's or DVD's (apple brand
DVD's only please), I've never had any problems. I always find the best
way is to use disk copy - Anyway this would suggest to me thats its the
toast software and not your apple hardware that has the problem (which
is why the log message will help).

> But I'll bet that David is turning any marginal owners off Apple and
> towards saving the xtra $$$ and perhaps going to Dell, who at least
> service what they sell.

Well i never call support on any of my/our hardware (including dells,
Compaq's (ow apart from ordering parts), macs, IBM's, VAX, suns, etc);
always found them to be a waste of time. It's not as if they really
know any more than you do (or could look up on the web).

Ta
   Robin...