[Ti] What in future for the Powerbook?

Benn joverkamp at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 24 10:24:14 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 10:02  AM, John Griffin wrote:
> I can only restate what Tarik said: "Wow!"
>
> This has to place Apple as the undisputed heavyweight champ of the
> world of
> PC desktops. Lennox Jobs dropped Vitali Intel to the canvas with one
> mighty
> uppercut!
>
> Now how about Powerbooks?
>
> Adam Engst in Tidbits predicts that the G4 will be in Powerbooks for
> quite
> awhile yet.
>
> However I read somewhere that the mobile version of the G5 chip is
> just as
> awesome and it is cool running with low power demands. So any chance
> of a 2
> GHz dual processor Powerbook in the near future?
>
> Any fearless predictions, Shawn, Anybody?

My belief is it will be some time before the G5 Powerbooks are released.
For starters, Apple needs to push powermac sales.  I think I read
somewhere before that powermacs are the products that they get the most
profit from, and sales have been horrible in recent times.  Putting the
G5 in Powermacs alone will give a great boost for sales for a while.
As for an upcoming 15" powerbook in aluminum enclosure--it'll probably
happen soon, and I'd guess with upgraded speeds to the entire line, but
I can't see them putting a G5 in at that point.
Heat and power use.  I hear many different things about IBM's 970 and I
really don't know what to believe.  But, there's a chance that the G5
won't work in well in the current enclosures, and why change them now?

However, there's also a good chance the aluminum enclosure was made
with the 970 in mind.  There's also the whole "Year of the Laptop"
thing that stirs things up a little.  And as to those who remember that
it took over a year to put a G4 in a laptop after it was in a
tower--well what about the G3?  It went into powerbooks the same time
they released powermacs with it.

I still believe it's going to be a while, but we'll see.

Benn