[Ti] Wine + X11 = ?

A.J.Bos Arjan.Bos at icu.nl
Sat Jun 28 04:41:14 PDT 2003

On donderdag, jun 26, 2003, at 22:21 Europe/Amsterdam, John Roche wrote:

> Does anybody know anything about running Wine on OS X?  I have 10.2.6
> and the third public beta of X11.

John,

Wine stands for 'Wine Is Not an Emulator' and that is correct. I mean
that it isn't an emulator. The way it works (as I heard) is that they
take the Windows API calls and translate them to the kernel calls for
Linux. The kernel then passes them to the processor. There is no
translation done, all code is intel x86 specific, neither is there a
virtual machine a la VPC that emulates an intel x86 processor.

So yeah, I know something about running Wine on OS X, namely you can't
run it.

How the Bochs project seems to be able to run an IA 32 chip on Mac OS
X. See http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps
Arjan

-- Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a sick mind -- (Terry
Pratchett)