Intellectual Property (was: Safari: Forms Autocomplete - where?)

George Reis reis at imagingforensics.com
Sun Mar 2 13:38:02 PST 2003

John Griffin wrote on 3/2/03 12:11 PM:

> The thing is folks, you tend to raise the hunger for these features by
> talking about it openly here on this list and ignoring the people who ask
> you quite honestly and without malice where a copy could be downloaded.

I only read a couple of posts on that thread, but there are several points
that you raise in the above sentence.

First, no alpha or beta tester should ever openly talk about the products
they are testing UNLESS it is with permission of the manufacturer. If they
do so, then they should be taken off any testing lists that they are on - it
is a breach of trust, and NDA.

Second, no alpha or beta tester should ever share their alpha or beta
software with anyone else. If they do so, then they should be taken off any
testing lists that they are on - it is a breach of trust, and NDA.

Third, if an individual learns of an unauthorized alpha or beta product
being available for downloading, they should expect it to be unstable and
unsupported. If they have questions they should expect some level of
admonishment for using unauthorized software.

Since I didn't really follow this thread, I certainly don't know who said
what, and don't know what Apple's NDA on this product is. But, those at
primary fault are those who did not honor their NDA's with Apple either by
sharing software or talking about features that are not public.

George
--
George Reis
Imaging Forensics

Specializing in digital imaging consulting, training, analysis and
enhancement for the law enforcement, investigative and legal communities.