For the Member in Germany with 10.2.4 Problem

Obrecht, Jerry A Jerry.A.Obrecht at mdnt.com
Mon Mar 3 10:25:01 PST 2003

Last week I recall reading of a subscriber in Germany who was able to switch a Windows user to a new AlBook, and then 10.2.4 caused the switcher to wish that he hadn't switched.  Here is a tentative cure...

The problem with the modem is in the modem scripts installed by 10.2.4...they are semi-FUBAR'ed.  The fix is to replace six modem files with the "old" 10.2.3 modem files.  At www.apple.com under Support, search for the following discussion thread "Discussions > Mac OS X > Getting Started and General Use > Getting Online > Modem drops dialup in 30 sec, 10.2.4. Help?" if you wish.  It reports that at macfixit.com there is a link to the six files that can be downloaded; the link is called "10.2.3ModemParts".  The rub is that, as with any OS X changes, you need to boot from the DVD or boot in OS 9 to replace the files (not a big thing).  If you contact me off-line, I can send the files to you via email; the 6 files though are about 2.5MB in size total.

Jerry