10.2.4 modem issues

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Mon Mar 3 13:17:47 PST 2003

At 2:52 PM -0600 3/3/03, Kynan Shook wrote:

>Looks like Apple acknowledged a problem; their fix is to deselect the error correction and compression checkbox in the Network system preferences.
>See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25387 for more info.

Since upgrading to 10.2.4 I have had less reliable modem connections. For example, I can only use v.34 reliably here today in Washington, D.C. (Earthlink).

This note indicates that the problem is with modem dial-up (PPP). But I'm suspicious that it may occur via bluetooth dial-up (PPP) also.

In different places with reliable and strong GSM service I would get dropped very quickly from a GPRS connection (bluetooth, PPP).

Sometimes these disconnections would leave me hopeless without a force quit AND restart. I blame that partly on the bluetooth software, as I can just wait out modem disconnections. I had such problems in Chicago and Boca Raton recently, as well as some other cities.

I don't have enough experience to say that this latter problem isn't due to flaky GPRS systems. Furthermore, I recently had instant disconnects in a Chicago hotel lobby but stayed connected longer (20 minutes) a couple of times in the Chicago airport. My carrier is AT&T Wireless.

I've tried GPRS in a few cities recently. Did I just hit the wrong ones? Would other 10.2.4 users who have recently bluetooth/GPRS experience several cities (not just a couple) care to comment?
--

Regards,

Steve  (is tv wake zone?)