No subject

hamok at easynet.co.uk hamok at easynet.co.uk
Tue Mar 4 05:46:45 PST 2003

I have the t68i, and a d-link type USB adapter.

What I want is a simple ?BT on? type switch, to work with this adapter on the pb.

I have the clicker, or at least had it till the new version came out, and thought it was great. Until then I thought the phone was pretty crappy, compared to the nokias I?ve had ? the delayed response makes it difficult to send SMSs, record numbers, wake from sleep ? and it?s a real hassle. The Isync is a bit of a joke- you can only update the calendar in the phone 8 weeks into the future. ( the sony ericsson software for a pc gives you full syncronisation, not restricted). It also doesn?t let you put street addresses on the phone. (compared to nokia/pc via infra-red, the syncronisation is very limited - an IR connection for a nokia to a pb would have been my preference)

I love the clicker, but the steps involved in setting up BT get me stumped every time.

I insert the dlink thing, which sticks out the back (meaning I can?t leave it in place if I travel with the tibook, or even want to lock it away). I make the phone discoverable. I then switch BT on in the line in the top right hand corner of the screen. Nothing happens. I look to turn on the BT preferences in system preferences ? of course the pane isn?t there. So I have to find a way of getting it to appear, and the only way I can see is restart. ( Please help me here if I am missing something).

Then I turn on Itunes, and use clicker- great, pausing and fast-forwarding to my heart's content.

Then, tired of so much fun, I turn in for the evening. It seems that I have to turn off BT at the top right of the screen, before closing the lid on the PB (the time that I didn?t, I got a warning that I hadn?t removed the device properly, and it being late at night, I didn?t bother writing it down).

So it seems to me clicker is a great app if you have a mac desktop, but not if you need to use your pb as a mobile computer. In order for it to be a real option for a mobile user, I think there would have to be a bt pcmcia card which could work on a pb (and so stay in place and so be "on" all the time), and looking at apple's bt forums, that does not seem to be on the horizon. And if clicker didn?t exist, I wouldn?t recommend a T68.

(However the PB/t68 combination does work fine as a bluetooth modem (haven?t tried gprs))

Paul