[Ti] OT - Open Office

Chris Olson chris at mercury1.astcomm.net
Wed Mar 5 10:48:23 PST 2003

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 11:32 AM, Chris Reinhart wrote:

> Sorry if this has been covered here already but I'm looking for
> advice, opinions, likes/dislikes regarding openoffice?
> We are looking for alternatives to microsoft's expensive office suite
> to install on our client ibooks.

OpenOffice is fine for most simple word processing and spreadsheet
tasks.  However, it won't properly format Word documents with images or
tables, it doesn't support the same fonts as MS Office in either
spreadsheets or word processing documents (so formatting will be lost
when importing docs), the UI positively sucks, and it is quite slow.
Personally, I would not deploy it in a production environment, but it
is OK for casual use as long as the user understands it's limitations.
In production environments there is also the liability issue with no
support from a commercial company in the instance that a security
issue, or some other critical issue, would be discovered with it.

IMHO, AppleWorks is a better (than OO.org), and more economical
alternative to MS Office X, providing a slightly better level of Office
compatibility (compared to OO.org), and having the advantage of full
support from a commercial company.  There are usually two issues with
Office substitute software - how compatible is it with Office formats,
and cost.  In this instance you get what you pay for - OO.org is free
offering the lowest level of compatibility, AppleWorks costs
considerably less than MS Office ($79) but provides more functionality
for the office user, and finally, MS Office itself is expensive, but is
a top-notch office suite that actually surpasses it's Windows sister
applications in features and ease-of-use.

I have some example documents generated with Windows 2000 and Office
2000 that I can send you to try in the various office suites so you can
see for yourself how they compare.
--
Chris