[Ti] OSX --to-> Windows?

David Remahl david at ittpoi.com
Wed Mar 5 11:59:23 PST 2003

>> Timbuktu is great - but it would depend upon if you are trying to
>> "invite"
>> someone in to control a machine like VNC.  I sure wish Timbuktu did
>> this - I
>> have been looking everywhere for a remote access Mac client that will
>> allow
>> me to "connect" to a computer that is behind a firewall like we have
>> done
>> with the PC's at the clients location.  It was not apparent Timbuktu
>> could
>> do this nor Apple's Remote Desktop.
>>
>> -Jason
>
> Amen to that!
>
> YES - I do wish we had a VNC for the Mac! When traveling recently, my
> son
> used VNC to control his (gulp) PC at home. He ran it on my TiG4 800 MHz
> Powerbook using VPC 5 and Win XP. Worked GREAT.
>
> Best,
> Henry

I haven't followed the thread closely, but surely the is VNC for the
Mac. There are both VNC clients and servers for Mac OS X:

<http://www.redstonesoftware.com/osxvnc/>
<http://netmath.math.uiuc.edu/vnc/>
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/>

It is possible to open up the firewall for both Timbuktu and ARA
access. And VNC, of course. I can't see how RDC could do this in an
'automatic' fashion, since at least the server needs to be accessible
from the outside for the client to be able to connect to it.

/ Rgds, David