[Ti] Weird Screen Behavior...

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 5 20:36:57 PST 2003

According to John Pariseau:

>The problem is thus: I go to transform a layer. I do a command T,
>adjust the layer to the size I want it at, and hit enter. At that
>moment (when it resamples the layer) the screen goes "hysteric" and
>jumps around for a few seconds. I have never seen this behavior
>before, and it has only happened in Photoshop, when working with a
>layer. I should also mention I only have 1GB of free space on my
>disk.
>
>One possible source of this problem: I accidentally ran the video
>updater a little while back, and it updated all of my video files
>etc... (ATI)
>
>Finally, in my login items, I have this program:  ATI Monitor
>
>Any clues on what exactly it does, and if I should leave it there or
>remove it?
>
>I had already run this back in 10.2.1.
>

>Any clues????
>
>Thanks!
>
>John Pariseau

Hi John,

I'm wondering why you have the ATI Monitor in Login Items. never
heard of that before. My copy is in the ATI Utilities folder in
Applications/Utilities. Does it actually launch and do anything?

Also, what 'latest video update are you referring to?

Reason I ask is that I run Photoshop 7.0.1, fully =loaded with about
every plugin known to man or beast, and it does full screen renders
and previews, without a hitch, unless I use the DreamSuite plugin,
which needs gigs of RAM, so i use as standalone. But P-Shop gives me
no problems.

The i GB of 'free' disk space isn't enough. The OS likes at least 20%
free, preferably contiguous [i.e. non-fragmented] space to work with,
and Photoshop likes a 'fat' 'scratch' folder, or space, also.

My suggestions:

1- Off-load enough files, applications, or whatever, to bring the
free disk space to at least 20% of the total drive.

2- Run the Disk Utility on the drive, from a separate partition, or
the Install disk, if you have only one partition.

3- Delete the ATI utility in your Login Items, and let it reside in
the Utilities folder with the other ATI utilities.

4- Optimize your drive, after making adequate space on it. Use Norton
Speed Disk, or DiskWarrior Plus Optimizer, if you have the DW CD.

Remember, Photoshop looks at the startup drive first, in order to
form a 'scratch' disk. It's all in Preferences, as is the memory
allocation. On my Ti 667, with 1024 MB Ram I have Photoshop set to
'max' out on 459 MB RAM.

Lots of free, contiguous, [again, meaning not fragmented] drive space
and a ____load of RAM make Photoshop very happy.

Good luck.

~flipper