[Ti] Weird Screen Behavior...

John Pariseau simplymail at ururk.com
Wed Mar 5 20:59:05 PST 2003

> I'm wondering why you have the ATI Monitor in Login Items. never heard
> of that before. My copy is in the ATI Utilities folder in
> Applications/Utilities. Does it actually launch and do anything?

I have no clue. I downloaded the ATI utilities a while back (when it
came out for the PB). This December break, I was looking to clean up my
system, and noticed the ATI folder in the Utilities folder. I double
clicked on one of the icons - bad choice - it installed a bunch of
files. My impressions was that I had already done this when I
downloaded the installer. Top and Process Viewer do not show an ATI
process (at least that I can discern). I also clicked on the program
icons to see what they did. Normally I figure out what something is
before double clicking on it.

> Also, what 'latest video update are you referring to?

ATI came out with an update for the PB's, etc...

> The i GB of 'free' disk space isn't enough. The OS likes at least 20%
> free, preferably contiguous [i.e. non-fragmented] space to work with,
> and Photoshop likes a 'fat' 'scratch' folder, or space, also.

I know : (

> My suggestions:
>
> 1- Off-load enough files, applications, or whatever, to bring the free
> disk space to at least 20% of the total drive.

Will do. I have had a 120GB Western Digital HD for a few weeks now, and
have that ability finally...although I moved 4 gigs of files onto it
just a few weeks ago!

> 2- Run the Disk Utility on the drive, from a separate partition, or
> the Install disk, if you have only one partition.

Ok, but what should I do? I ran fix permissions yesterday (for an
unrelated problem).

> 3- Delete the ATI utility in your Login Items, and let it reside in
> the Utilities folder with the other ATI utilities.

Will do.

> 4- Optimize your drive, after making adequate space on it. Use Norton
> Speed Disk, or DiskWarrior Plus Optimizer, if you have the DW CD.

I have neither. Is their any good reason to do this? I have had next to
no problems with my PB, although I do want to (eventually) offload
everything and erase and fresh install my system, as I am running an
"Archive and Install" of Jaguar. With all the SW I have to put back on
my machine, this is not a very fun thing to do.

Thanks!