[Ti] Mac.com

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 7 17:01:24 PST 2003

According to Steve Wozniak:

>  >Eudora' Personalities are all individually configurable for smtp
>out. As a matter of fact, all of the 500 or so parameters governed
>by the x-eudora-settings, as well as the main Settings, can be
>configured for each individual Personality, also, if so desired.
>>
>>I use my Eudora,on the road, with the Powerbook. Between the power
>>and flexibility of Eudora, and the effortless switching between
>>'other' Internet access schemes, available using the OSX 'Location'
>>menu, it couldn't be easier.
>
>You have this somewhat wrong and you might be confusing readers.
>
>Eudora uses the word 'Personality' not in the same convention as
>apps like Netscape. but rather as "accounts" in other email apps.
>
>Several accounts with several ISP's require several 'Personalities'
>in Eudora. This is really not different than what Outlook Express
>and Entourage and Netscape and Mail calls 'Accounts'. Each account
>has it's own settings, including SMTP.
>
>The concept of personality, in regard to this discussion, would mean
>a one-step way to change email settings (SMTP) based on which ISP
>you are using. I can enable 8 of Eudora's personalities (accounts)
>when I'm home, but enable a different 8 personalities for the same
>accounts (with different SMTP settings) when I travel, but this is
>far from one-step.
>
>You can tell Eudora to use the system internet settings. Eudora
>recommends against this, but it is a solution. Just check this in
>Special-->Settings...->Miscellaneous and then change the SMTP
>("Outgoing Mail Server") setting in the Internet System Preference
>as you move around, if you have problems with ISP's like Earthlink
>that filter SMTP. This is not a being a 1-step approach but it's
>closer. The same option to use system internet settings is available
>in other email apps.
>
>In MacOS 9 the Location Manager could do this switching for me in
>one step. In OS X this ability, to switch SMTP settings, is not
>provided. You can create different computer login accounts, which
>would remember different Eudora settings, but it's a bit of a hassle
>to log in and out of my TiBook to make this change.

One, nobody should even contemplate using Read from, or Write To,
Internet Config. Eudora has recommended against this since before
Qualcomm came along.

Since I cannot imagine a scenario in which more than one smtp server
address would be needed, at the same time, regardless of the number
of 'Accounts', my method of using Location [in the Apple menu in OSX]
to choose the ISP to be connected to, AT Any One Time, and then
popping the ISP's smtp address into "Checking Mail", in Eudora's
settings, and leaving it there until there's a reason to change it,
i.e. another ISP to be hooked up to, elsewhere, is close to one-step.

Let me spell it out, to avoid confusion: I use two ISPs at home, my
regular dsl, and a BellSouth address belonging to the company I'm
working for. Sp, if I want to use dsl, I do nothing. Al of my 8 mail
accounts, each with its own 'Personality' [set up one time], simply
checks its POP or IMAP server, regardless of where I am, or which ISP
I'm using.

If, for some reason, [such as being out of town, using an alternative
ISP, etc] I need to send mail, or reply, while connected to anything
but my normal account, I simply type the out-going  smtp addy in, one
time, in "Checking Mail, and that, as they say, is that. Now how
difficult, or confusing, is that?  There's no reason to change
outgoing smtp server addresses in each 'Account/Personality' at all.
And with Eudora, if I'm using a local dsl in London, on the road, and
I get mail from a yahoo POP server, and hit Reply, the mail goes out,
through the local [London] smtp server, and the recipient sees the
same Reply-To, or 'From" address as always. Simple as pi.

Eudora is scriptable, so yes, I'm sure that choosing a different
Location, in the Apple menu,  could probably 'write' to the 'Outgoing
smtp server field in Settings, if anyone wanted to take the time to
write the script.

Point, one must set up multiple Personalities/Accounts if one has
multiple accounts, no way around that. BUT, assuming your Mac can
only connect to one ISP at a time, anyway, then only ONE smtp server
address has to change, once, not 'X' number of times. Doesn't matter
if you're checking email servers from home to Zanzibar, you only
actually need one smtp server to send mail. Period,

I never used Location Manager in previous OS's, so i don't know how
Location manager managed to change smtp outgoing mail settings in
Eudora, without setting Eudora to read from Internet Config, which
is, again, a no-no, and I hope nobody, mistakenly is confused into
trying that..

There is one last thing. Anyone using Eudora can use one
x-eudora-setting to change to any outgoing mail server, almost
'automatically':

The hard way is to click on <x-eudora-setting:4> and then type the
smtp server to use to check mail with, i.e smtp.earthlink.net,
mail.pop.yahoo.com, etc

Or, and this is the 'bomb', let's say you have 2 or more smtp servers
that you need to witch to.. In that case, the argument is
x-setting:#_data... ergo

Using above 2 examples:

<x-eudora-setting:4=smtp.earthlink.net>
<x-eudora-setting:4=mail.pop.yahoo.com>

etc etc etc  Obviously, you set up a 'list' of all of your many and
varied smtp [outgoing] servers, each as above, save your Eudora doc,
or text doc, and, when in Rome, simply choose Location to get online,
Open Eudora, Hit Command-O, select your Server List, or whatever you
called it when you set it up and saved it, and Bob's Your Uncle, all
the email you typed on the plane goes out through the correct smtp
server, in other words, the outgoing server of the ISP you are using
at the moment.

Try that in Outlook,Entourage or Mail, and you get nowhere. The
Eudora x-settings are called x-eudora-uption in the Windows version
of Eudora.  It was another brilliant use of internal URLs on the part
of Qualcomm. I mention the Windows version, in case anyone is using
VPC, and doesn't want to pop back into OSX, for some reason, to read,
and respond to, their email, .... easily  :=)

~flipper