[Ti] Fixing a power adapter cord

Philip Booth pcbooth at swbell.net
Sat Mar 8 06:37:23 PST 2003

On 3/8/03 3:04 AM, "mburke6225 at aol.com" <mburke6225 at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 3/8/2003 6:20:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> gerry at netspeed.com.au writes:
>

>> My Teenager from Hell (bless her) tripped over the cord of her iBook's white
>> power adapter the other day and it has broken... Does anyone know if these
>> can be fixed?<
>

> What makes it exasperating is that they both have iBooks and constantly short
> out their cords (at 60 to 79 bucks a piece...do the math).  After replacing
> them three times (no joke) I finally spliced the joint by cutting the cord and
> stripping the sheath from the wire and cutting away the "nubbin" of the
> adapter (tricky to do).
>
> I then twisted and soldered then separated each pole of the attached wires
> with electrical tape, then wrapped the whole thing in electrical tape.  Looked
> like hell but it worked like a champ.  Both girls flashed me their "You're our
> hero smiles" as they went back to surfing the web (read as "doing homework").

Apple ought to start some kind of a "Core rebate" like the auto parts stores
do. Like exchanging an alternator for your car. Buy a rebuilt power adapter
and get 10-15 dollars off for turning in broken unit.  There may be some
company out there doing it.

I was in my office and someone brought in a dead power adapter for the same
reason a broken connection somewhere near the computer connector. So there
is a design flaw. Not that tripping over the cable is normal wear and tear.