[Ti] what RAM for powerbook G4 550mhz?

Kynan Shook kshook at mac.com
Wed Mar 12 08:05:38 PST 2003

luke <etyrnal at ameritech.net> writes:
> PC133 for sure - the system bus is 100, but mine came from apple w/
> pc133 in it...
> also the 100mhz motherboard iMac i just got has pc133 from the factory
> too...

Actually, it doesn't need PC133.  Apple shipped it with PC133 because
it's cheaper and easier to only have one speed of RAM installed in all
shipping PowerBooks.  Also, by the time those models started shipping,
PC100 was sometimes more expensive than PC133, and often rarer since
pretty much any computer that needs PC100 can use PC133.  The 100 MHz
flat panel iMac DOES require PC133 though, for whatever reason.
Of course, don't ask me why the 12" PowerBook is shipped with PC2100
and not PC2700 DDR since that's what the 17" uses...  Maybe the price
difference between those is big enough, or they decided that there
wouldn't be any confusion between the two when service providers are
replacing parts because they're different form factors.

Kynan Shook
kshook at mac.com
http://homepage.mac.com/kshook/index.html