[Ti] Safari Beta v.64 is out [NOT HERE]

Sherman Gregory sherman at qualcomm.com
Wed Mar 12 10:54:26 PST 2003

At 1:03 PM -0500 3/12/03, Victor Eijkhout wrote:
>  Basic conclusion:
>Apple is open when it suits them. Quite worth reading.

I have not read the article, but of course Apple is Open Source when
it suits them.  This is true for everyone.  When Netscape decided
that it suited them, they went open source.  All of the companies
that are involved in Open Source software are doing so because they
have determined that it suits them.  They are businesses in a
capitalistic system and are in it to make money. This is a good
thing, otherwise they would not exist at all.  When their business
model says that Open is the right thing to do, they do that.

I will even argur that individuals that contribute to Open Source
software are doing it because it suits them.  Either they are doing
it because they enjoy it, or are learning something, or are
furthering some other personal goal.  It suits their needs

The trick is to enlighten more companies into realizing that Open
Source can be part of a viable business model.  It can be good for
their business.

I am not saying that I would not like to see Apple open more of their
code, but they of course must do it when it is right for the company.
I want Apple to survive and hope they make the best decisions of what
to open based on survival and growth of their business.

     Sherman