[Ti] New Dell laptop

Mike Stanley macguy at guarded-inn.com
Wed Mar 12 17:51:47 PST 2003

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 01:15 PM, Gary Wall wrote:

> Comparison
> Dell has just released an Inspiron 8500, featuring a 15.4 wide aspect
> ratio screen. 40GB drive, 512MB DDR Ram. Wireless and Bluetooth extra.
> It weights in at 6.9 pounds to start. Instead of the usual dark colour
> (black or whatever), it's now a silver colour, you can also purchase
> coloured inserts for it, (about $50.00 a set). I was wondering how
> long before Dell kicked in with a similar screen to the Ti.
> Gary

One of the cool things about this laptop is it supports up to 2 gigs of
ram.  My friend is looking to get one to replace his current laptop.
He's a consultant with a project management company and routinely needs
to run multiple virtual servers on his laptop at client locations for
demos and such.  This machine will be a joy for him.

I'll keep my TiBook, although after suffering through a week of using
Virtual PC 6 and Windows 2000 at a recent SANS EDU conference, I doubt
I'll ever bother using it for VPC again - I'll just take an old Dell
laptop with me.  Even with 768 megs of ram my 667 ran Win2k under VPC
about as fast as I'd expect a 486 to do it.