[Ti] Mail attachment problems: a suggestion

F. Mortes fmortes at saltidiomes.com
Thu Mar 13 06:07:12 PST 2003

On Thursday, Mar 13, 2003, at 14:50 Europe/Madrid, Mark O'Brien wrote:

> It's not only Wintel machines that don't know what to do with Mac
> files. Mac users with AOL have the same problem, at least in OS 9. AOL
> splits Mac files into two separate files

Man, what a pain!

> My solution - I recently switched from Entourage to Mail.app for most
> of my email needs. But in iPhoto's preferences, I still designate
> Entourage as my email client for when I want to email photos. In
> Entourage, I can set my Attachment settings to "Encode for Windows
> (Base 64/MIME); No Compression". This has the effect of only sending
> the data fork.

Clever.

> The real answer (short of converting everybody else from Wintel and
> AOL) is for Apple to include some kind of preference settings for how
> Mail.app handles outgoing attachments.

I couldn't agree more. I was rather hoping this would be a feature in
Jaguar's Mail when I upgraded from 10.1.5, but sadly, no. To be
perfectly fair, I suspect most Wintel users may have a feature in
Outlook, etc that might allow them to receive Mac-sent attachments
properly, but I find that, sadly, they tend to know so little about how
their own apps work, that they quickly adopt that
'oh-well-it-must-be-your-fault-'cause-you're-using-a-weird-OS' attitude
we're all too familiar with. Sorry, that was too long a sentence.

Francesc