[Ti] What is this going to do to Apple, and its laptops?

Obrecht, Jerry A Jerry.A.Obrecht at mdnt.com
Thu Mar 13 11:52:07 PST 2003

>> Is this going to consign Apple to an even smaller piece of the pie?
>>
>> See
>> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2003-03-12-
>> centrino-launch_x.htm
>
> If I'm not mistaken, this chip operates with 802.11 (b? g? a? I don't
> know...).  It doesn't sound that innovative or fascinating to me.  I
> don't quite understand what makes it so unique, other than it will be
> in all notebooks.

how about 100 yards of range... ?
<<<
I have seen claims of 100 yds for 802.11g base stations and PCCards.  Claims of range are always the max based on perfect conditions and no intervening obstacles, like walls or PowerBook chassis parts.  What I have seen for actual results is ~ 100ft max for 802.11b (not using a PowerBooks internal Airport card, mind you).  The "g" standard may be more, but there are so few "g" stations and cards in use, that there isn't a good consensus on actual results.

Intel, or Dell in their "new" wireless laptops, can claim 100yds, but I'll bet practice will show that it is less.

Jerry