[Ti] [OT] Safari v64 might be here

b galahad9 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 13 17:22:29 PST 2003

According to Colin McDonald:

>on 13/3/03 21:44, b at galahad9 at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>>  If I'm Apple Computer, and we have software that is not 'ready', in
>>  our estimation, for general release, one reason I might be concerned
>>  is that early release will result in lots of problems for the users
>>  of the early release, which leads to 'complaints', 'bug' whining in
>>  forums, and bad press. None of which promote our good business name,
>>  or help to engender positive brand recognition amongst the
>>  'undecideds' and potential 'switchers' out there.
>
>So who let iMovie 3 out the bag then? :-)
>
>Colin McDonald

Well Colin, there's a flip side to the coin that is similar to
painting. If certain programmers had their way, nothing would ever
get released. Because it's never 'done'. In painting, that's one of
the things that makes kids' work so vibrant, or fresh...they paint,
go on to other things,and the painting is 'done'. As people get older
[more 'sophisticated', theoretically] there is a tendency to keep
adding layers of oil to canvas, or throwing tantrums and ripping it
all up. The software companies need to make judgement calls, all the
time.

As for iMovie, Apple could have charged a bomb for iMovie2, ignored
'bugs' and conflicts that people experienced with their myriad
setups, and then released iMovieX, let's say, and charged full price
for the new program.

Kind of like Microsoft releasing a bug fix for Windows 95, and
calling it Windows 98.

It's all about judgement, priorities, and the need to bite the
bullet, and get something out there where it will be put through 'the
mill'. Apple, for my money, is pretty damn diligent when it comes to
upgrade policy.

Secrecy regarding imminent new releases has done far less irreparable
harm than, say, Microsoft's old policy of 'vaporware', in which they
assert that they're entering a niche software market, and thousands
of folks abandon the current 'small' player in the niche, which,
itself, goes bankrupt, as the people 'wait-for-the-Windows-version"
that never materializes. That demonstrates great money-saving on the
part of MS. After all, companies, and their technologies, are much
cheaper when bankrupt, but also displays a despicable attitude
towards MS's own, 'loyal' customer base.

I'll go with Apple's de facto policy, any day.

~flipper