(o.T) MS OUTLOOK EXCHANGE 2000 - running under OS/X JAg in Classic - how to dynamically set MTU setting for a VPN

Warwick Teale warwick_teale at mac.com
Sun Mar 16 19:55:55 PST 2003

GUys, with my friend's help and after much frustration I have just
cured a issue concerning MS OUTLOOK exchange client (classic) and
VPNCLIENT (cisco 3000) @ 3.7

Symptom:

under VPNCLIENT 3.7(.x) unable to get ANY network access from classic
mode applications running  under classic mode in 10.2.4. APP sends out
but NEVER get a response (or a shaky response).

Cure from my friend...: Set MTU for the NIC to be the same as the VPN .
IN my case:

CISCO VPNCLIENT sets MTU from 1500 back to 1356 - all OS/X apps run
fine.

So I used IPNETTUNER to set CLASSIC MTU back to 1356 and all works fine.

What I want to know is:
a) has anyone else had this problem. Just seemed to happen after 10.2.4
installed some months back
b) if someone has tis problem what is there workaround other than using
IPNETtuner.

thanks